The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today interrupted their tour of Australia to send a heartfelt message of sympathy to the Duchess of Cornwall following the death of her brother Mark Shand in New York.
Harry Potter star Warwick Davis brought the magic of reading to a classroom of excited children — and urged them to read anything they can get their hands on.
11 October 2013
Horrid Henry author shares new book at the Shard’s summit
02 October 2013
Poet Roger McGough has urged families to talk more over dinner instead of allowing children to stay glued to their iPads.
03 September 2013
Staff from one of London’s biggest department stores have pledged to help London schoolchildren who struggle to read.
25 July 2013
The read of a lifetime! Thousands of people flock to Trafalgar Square to enjoy our great book festival in glorious sunshine
Sun shines on crowds as famous names give readings
13 July 2013
Too many fathers believe their children should read factual books instead of fiction, says children’s laureate Malorie Blackman.
16 July 2013
The Get Reading festival took over Trafalgar Square today as celebrities gave live readings while children read along in the sun. See pictures from the event here.
13 July 2013
London school pupils have been treated to readings from some very special visitors, says Anna Davis
12 July 2013
Our award-winning Get London Reading campaign exceeded all expectations, says David Cohen
12 July 2013
More stars have signed up to make our Get Reading Festival this Saturday a day to remember.
10 July 2013
Get London Reading: Harry Potter inspired me to get reading despite my dyslexia, says Princess Beatrice
Princess Beatrice has revealed how discovering Harry Potter inspired her to read despite her dyslexia.
05 July 2013
Get London Reading: I wouldn’t be the person I am without books, says Stephen Fry as he backs our Get Reading campaign
The most famous voice in children’s literature delighted children at a deprived school in Brixton when he read from the novel with which he is forever linked.
03 July 2013
The Evening Standard’s Get London Reading campaign has been honoured with another award.
02 July 2013
Get Reading: Only me! Harry Enfield gets pupils laughing as he drops in to back our reading campaign
He is best known for playing Kevin the Teenager and Wayne Slob, but Harry Enfield introduced a new unseemly character to his repertoire when he read to children at a London school.
28 June 2013
More television and literary stars have today signed up to join the Evening Standard’s festival of reading this summer.
20 June 2013
- Father in New Malden child deaths tragedy 'beyond shock' as he flies back to UK
- Real Madrid prepare lucrative deal to beat Liverpool in race for Chelsea's Ashley Cole
- Mark Shand: Duchess of Cornwall's brother dead after fall in New York
- Victim of stabbing in Mortlake tapas restaurant was member of Fiennes family
- Worst dressed celebrities: Who dressed like a dog's dinner this week? We show and tell...
- Nigel Farage insists Ukip posters are not racist even if they upset 'chattering classes'
- David Cameron accused of fostering division by claiming Britain is a Christian country
- Tube boss accuses RMT of being stuck in past after union votes for new strikes
- Cardinal slams 'alarmist' immigration rhetoric on Ukip poster campaign
- London hairdresser 'targeted by North Korean embassy officials over Kim Jong-un discount'
- Three injured after ceiling collapses at Virgin Active gym in west London
- The Standard leads rush to adopt a .London web address
- Joan as Police Woman, Village Underground - music review
- Owner of 'worst hotel in Britain' banned after mice move in