The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today interrupted their tour of Australia to send a heartfelt message of sympathy to the Duchess of Cornwall following the death of her brother Mark Shand in New York.
Ashes-themed day proves big hit with pupils
19 June 2013
The Duchess of Cornwall has written about the “thrill” of reading in a new book for children struggling with literacy.
10 June 2013
London children struggling with literacy got the first chance to read a book designed for them on an eReader.
13 June 2013
Theatreland has swung behind the Get Reading festival in Trafalgar Square this summer, with star names already signed up.
06 June 2013
Boris launches our big adventure: Trafalgar Square will be transformed in giant summer festival of reading
Trafalgar Square will be transformed into a giant reading festival in the summer, the Evening Standard reveals.
16 May 2013
Primary school pupils and best-selling author Kathy Lette helped spearhead an exciting new era for the Evening Standard’s literacy campaign today, reading Roald Dahl’s Matilda on Nook eReaders rather than from books.
30 April 2013
Presenter and author inspires pupils at our third flagship school
01 March 2013
Every school in the country must have a reading volunteer like those recruited by the Standard’s literacy campaign, a leading charity said today.
26 February 2013
As Duchess is latest VIP to visit St Mary’s, headteacher says ‘who’s next, the Pope?’
23 January 2013
The Evening Standard’s Get London Reading campaign has won the inaugural London First Award for “improvement to Londoners’ quality of life”.
18 January 2013
Princess Laurentien is head of the EU High Level Group on Literacy who believes our Get London Reading campaign can kickstart a revolution across Europe. David Cohen met her at one of our flagship schools
18 January 2013
Politicians and royalty today paid tribute to the “indomitable spirit” of Londoners and the “inspirational” Evening Standard for the unique bond they have forged to tackle poverty, illiteracy and unemployment in three campaigns that have transformed thousands of lives in the capital.
21 December 2012
After an amazing year when Londoners rallied to our campaigns, David Cohen reports on the legacy left by your action
21 December 2012
Almost one in five London children left primary school without a basic grasp of English and maths this year, new figures reveal.
13 December 2012
The Get London Reading campaign is being rolled out across the UK with a series of copycat projects.
12 December 2012
- Father in New Malden child deaths tragedy 'beyond shock' as he flies back to UK
- Real Madrid prepare lucrative deal to beat Liverpool in race for Chelsea's Ashley Cole
- Mark Shand: Duchess of Cornwall's brother dead after fall in New York
- Man on murder charge over scissors stabbing of Fiennes relative
- Worst dressed celebrities: Who dressed like a dog's dinner this week? We show and tell...
- Nigel Farage insists Ukip posters are not racist even if they upset 'chattering classes'
- David Cameron accused of fostering division by claiming Britain is a Christian country
- Tube boss accuses RMT of being stuck in past after union votes for new strikes
- Cardinal slams 'alarmist' immigration rhetoric on Ukip poster campaign
- London hairdresser 'targeted by North Korean embassy officials over Kim Jong-un discount'
- Three injured after ceiling collapses at Virgin Active gym in west London
- The Standard leads rush to adopt a .London web address
- Joan as Police Woman, Village Underground - music review
- Owner of 'worst hotel in Britain' banned after mice move in