The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today interrupted their tour of Australia to send a heartfelt message of sympathy to the Duchess of Cornwall following the death of her brother Mark Shand in New York.
The father of three severely disabled children allegedly killed by their mother was today said to be “beyond shock” as full details of the family’s struggles emerged.
Celebrity chefs line up for Taste of London
15 March 2012
Celebrity chefs from all over the world will join a line-up of London's stars for the starriest Taste Festival this year.
More than 50,000 foodies are expected to descend on Regents Park in June for the four-day Taste of London 2012 festival to sample selected dishes from 40 of the city’s top restaurants.
Organisers say the festival has attracted the most impressive line-up of Michelin-starred restaurants and world-renowned chefs in its nine-year history.
They have also introduced an Olympic tie-in, with five pavilions dedicated to international cuisine offering visitors authentic flavours from destinations off the beaten track, including Malaysia, Brazil and Peru.
Jason Atherton, who launched Maze with Gordon Ramsay before setting up his Pollen Street Social to acclaim last year, said: “London is without doubt the world’s number one when it comes to finding quality cuisine from all around the world. Where else could you find as many Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants as French and Italian?
“It’s remarkable and Taste of London is a brilliant opportunity for people to enjoy a flavour of what London will be serving up to the rest of the world this summer.”
Theo Randall, whose InterContinental in Park Lane has won rave reviews since opening in 2006, is working on a selection of special dishes - including a variation on his signature warm chocolate souffle.
He said: “There are so many chefs from all over the world who are opening restaurants in London that it’s hard to keep up. You could spend your life going around and trying them all out.
“At Taste, you get a showcase of what’s happening in one place in one day.”
London’s top restaurants including Le Gavroche, Gauthier Soho, Rhodes 24, Club Gascon, Petrus, Maze, Benares and Tamarind will all be running kitchens at the event.
International stars jetting in include Wolfgang Puck, from Spago in Beverly Hills, Bruno Loubet, and Korea’s David Chang, owner of Momofuku.
Visitors can also try and buy from 200 food and drink producers, enjoy fine wine tasting and watch some of the world’s greatest chefs demonstrate their skills live on stage.
Tickets priced £24 for adults and £12 for children are now on sale.
Top stories in News
News in Pictures
Top stories in News
News in Pictures
- Father in New Malden child deaths tragedy 'beyond shock' as he flies back to UK
- Real Madrid prepare lucrative deal to beat Liverpool in race for Chelsea's Ashley Cole
- Mark Shand: Duchess of Cornwall's brother dead after fall in New York
- Victim of stabbing in Mortlake tapas restaurant was member of Fiennes family
- Worst dressed celebrities: Who dressed like a dog's dinner this week? We show and tell...
- Nigel Farage insists Ukip posters are not racist even if they upset 'chattering classes'
- David Cameron accused of fostering division by claiming Britain is a Christian country
- Tube boss accuses RMT of being stuck in past after union votes for new strikes
- Cardinal slams 'alarmist' immigration rhetoric on Ukip poster campaign
- London hairdresser 'targeted by North Korean embassy officials over Kim Jong-un discount'
- Three injured after ceiling collapses at Virgin Active gym in west London
- The Standard leads rush to adopt a .London web address
- Joan as Police Woman, Village Underground - music review
- Owner of 'worst hotel in Britain' banned after mice move in
When you apply for a credit product such as a loan or mortgage, the lender will almost always conduct a credit check on you. Find out how it works.
Here, we dissect the look of one of our favourite fashion week attendees and show you how to channel Poppy Delevingne’s style.
With summer approaching it's time to rethink your wardrobe
Celebrate the UNIQLO Michael Bastian polo shirt collaboration for men and kids, with a chance to win a family experience at one of four London football clubs.
Over the next 12 weeks, our team from the London Evening Standard will all experience the thrill of New Balance’s 10k Runnovation.
Bergen - a city set amid spectacular scenery which is easily accessible for a fascinating weekend escape.
From ditsy florals to tropical succulents to brush strokes. Opt for vibrant shades and have the courage to clash.
Only two hours from Britain amid the dramatic scenery and lovely fjords of western Norway, find out more about the Norwegian fjords...
We've teamed up with Icelandair to give readers the chance to win two return flights from London to Denver to visit this stonishing city.