The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today interrupted their tour of Australia to send a heartfelt message of sympathy to the Duchess of Cornwall following the death of her brother Mark Shand in New York.
Police today smashed a “fake Californian gold” fraud racket being run from offices in the heart of the Square Mile.
Fuse was lit on bomb under car
17 April 2012
Dissident republican group the Real IRA is the chief suspect for planting the device which was discovered on Sunday night in a nationalist estate in Londonderry, the region's second largest city.
The bomb was under a vehicle that belonged to the policeman's parents. This is the second time they have been targeted but the elderly couple have vowed to stay at the house, Superintendent Chris Yates said.
Earlier this month the outlawed Real IRA vowed to try to kill more police officers during a rally in the city.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland's Mr Yates said: "This is the equivalent of a military hand grenade." He pledged to leave no stone unturned to try to identify those who planned the attack and appealed for information from the community.
The couple, from Drumleck Drive in Shantallow, are pensioners. Their home was attacked by the Real IRA in 2009 using a similar device but Mr Yates said they remained unbowed.
He said: "The device had been initiated; it had the fuse lit on it but it failed to fully explode. We are treating it as a terrorist investigation and as attempted murder because anyone next to this when it exploded would have been seriously injured and possibly killed."
Dissident republicans have targeted police several times. New constable Ronan Kerr was killed when a device blew up under his car in Omagh, Co Tyrone, last April.
Ministers and senior police have warned the threat level remains severe. Derry has been named UK Capital of Culture for 2013. In October the office established to organise the celebrations was targeted for the second time by dissident republicans.
On speaking to the police officer whose parents were targeted, Mr Yates said: "He is showing a remarkable resolve. He has no intention of changing his chosen profession."
- Father in New Malden child deaths tragedy 'beyond shock' as he flies back to UK
- Real Madrid prepare lucrative deal to beat Liverpool in race for Chelsea's Ashley Cole
- Mark Shand: Duchess of Cornwall's brother dead after fall in New York
- Victim of stabbing in Mortlake tapas restaurant was member of Fiennes family
- Worst dressed celebrities: Who dressed like a dog's dinner this week? We show and tell...
- Nigel Farage insists Ukip posters are not racist even if they upset 'chattering classes'
- David Cameron accused of fostering division by claiming Britain is a Christian country
- Tube boss accuses RMT of being stuck in past after union votes for new strikes
- Cardinal slams 'alarmist' immigration rhetoric on Ukip poster campaign
- London hairdresser 'targeted by North Korean embassy officials over Kim Jong-un discount'
- Three injured after ceiling collapses at Virgin Active gym in west London
- The Standard leads rush to adopt a .London web address
- Joan as Police Woman, Village Underground - music review
- Owner of 'worst hotel in Britain' banned after mice move in
When you apply for a credit product such as a loan or mortgage, the lender will almost always conduct a credit check on you. Find out how it works.
Here, we dissect the look of one of our favourite fashion week attendees and show you how to channel Poppy Delevingne’s style.
With summer approaching it's time to rethink your wardrobe
Celebrate the UNIQLO Michael Bastian polo shirt collaboration for men and kids, with a chance to win a family experience at one of four London football clubs.
Over the next 12 weeks, our team from the London Evening Standard will all experience the thrill of New Balance’s 10k Runnovation.
Bergen - a city set amid spectacular scenery which is easily accessible for a fascinating weekend escape.
From ditsy florals to tropical succulents to brush strokes. Opt for vibrant shades and have the courage to clash.
Only two hours from Britain amid the dramatic scenery and lovely fjords of western Norway, find out more about the Norwegian fjords...
We've teamed up with Icelandair to give readers the chance to win two return flights from London to Denver to visit this stonishing city.